Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tinkering with Our Health Care System

Well, here we go again, tinkering. Tinkering is what we democrats seem to do best in recent history. We tinker with the economy, tinker with the tax code, tinker with health care, tinker with social engineering, and tinker with everything imaginable; when in fact, we should often just leave this government alone to operate efficiently as Jefferson and Madison intended. They designed a system with limited federal government with three very specific charges and all else left to the states and to the people--with good reason[s].

When I heard Obama, the candidate say, “we live in the greatest country in the world and working together we can change it”, I knew we were possibly in for a whole lot of tinkering. When I saw the euphoric response to that statement, I knew we had lost our collective mind. I do not know who said it but it is too often true; “the Republican Party is the party of no ideas but the Democratic Party is the party of bad ideas”.

I am one of those Jeffersonian Democrats who believes the federal government has no business tinkering with health care and further, this healthcare initiative should cease and desist. If Barack Obama has his way, I believe I may not see another democratic president in my lifetime [I am 60], and rightfully so. We don’t NEED health care reform, we don’t NEED cap ‘n trade, we don’t NEED more TARP, we don’t NEED further federal bailouts and we don’t NEED to continue to fund the money pits of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to underwrite more bad loans. We just think we NEED them and we just can’t help tinkering.

I am not one who has ever been a single issue voter but the above “NEEDS”, especially health care reform [1/6 of our economy] and cap ‘n trade are enough for me to vote against anyone who votes in favor of such boondoggles. I want my party, the party of Jefferson, back and those who have hijacked my party out.

I hope you will use good sense and judgment over party affiliation and vote NO to this health care disaster. One doesn’t need be a Mensa or take a poll to discern the majority of Americans are scared to death this congress and president have run amuck and will pass something, anything, even if it’s wrong. Please vote NO.

Steve Matthews
Fairfax, VA

No comments: