Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Seminole Indian Territory Installment XI


This is to give you a general idea what I am talking about; it is clearly a remote area with remote access and worthy of exploration. In fact, I would like to do it on horseback, as far east as NS 352, west to NS 350, from EW 111 to I-40. Marsha however, suggested a burro instead. I think she sought a photo-op, with my country ass in a sombrero and serape. When I return, if that bridge below I-40 on NS 351 is still impassable, I will approach, northbound, on NS 352, then west on EW 112 where it ends, for all practical purposes, at NS 351.
It is also important to note that NS 350 is the boundary line of Pott/ Seminole Co. Boundary surveys back when were not exact, so that has likely been a moving target prior to the final official survey following statehood. I have dealt with this issue many times in my family/ genealogy research on the borders of KY/ TN, TN/ NC, TN/ AL, GA & SC; also, VA/ NC, NC/ SC, etc. You get the picture. There were border wars over these moving lines—taxes of course. What else?
There are even more issues here with Indian Territory borders, Seminole IT being a “Johnny Come Lately”, formerly being part of Creek IT. I won’t even begin to get into that here—that will come later.
At one point, we took a GPS reading: N 35.37180 / W 96.84263. I had it that, looking south and west from this point, Econtuchka would have been here, approximately. However, that is not certain because we were driving around in circles, due to the fact section line roads just stopped dead; thus, we had to retrace and find another way through. We were at times in Pott Co., Seminole Co., Okfuskee Co. and somehow, we found ourselves in Lincoln Co. I have no clue how we did that! My navigator was apparently lacking a properly calibrated gyroscope.
On the north and east of that GPS reading lay South River Ranch and South River Farms. Corn, wheat, beans, etc. as far as the eye could see. Charolaise, Longhorns, Brahmas, Angus, etc. that were show cattle, to a beefsteak. These were large herds, not itty-bitty ones. The corn and wheat were immaculate. Never seen anything like this, ANYWHERE! The irrigation systems, surveillance and fencing were par none. I would not doubt if the fencing had voltage. They did not want anyone wandering about onto the property—warnings posted everywhere. I considered peeing on the fence to see—Marsha nixed that idea. The farming equipment was aplenty and high $$$. We are talking not in $Millions. There may be a $B or 2 in there. There were OK Dept. of Wildlife hunting areas posted in places, sprinkled about. I would kill to take a 12 gauge and Pointer in there!
The active production, mostly that of New Dominion, was everywhere. Again, the units, tank farms, etc. were fairly new and huge! This was not “Stripper” production either—it was large and top $. Marsha and I were astounded! As some of you know, Marsha knows her way around the industry so we are not neophytes in that department. Unfortunately, most of my minerals are in the Greater Seminole Field, south of Seminole.
The other 3 IT Ghost Towns that were on the agenda were:
ARBEKA
In extreme northeastern corner of Seminole County. A post office from September 10, 1883, to December 14, 1907. Taken from Abi' h' ka, meaning 'peace town' or 'a place where justice was received.'
HANEY
Ten miles northeast of Seminole. A post office from February 17, 1908, to November 30, 1916. Named for Reverend Willie Haney, prominent Seminole.
IRENE
Six miles south of Boley, A post office from October 31, 1903 to November 28, 1907. Named for Irene Davis, the late Mrs. W. S. Key of Oklahoma City, daughter of Chief Alice Brown Davis, Seminole leader. On December 19, 1907 a post office named Schoolton was established at approximately this same site.
These locations are noted on the second map.
I tried to pinpoint, approximately, a fifth location--TBD:
HELISWA
Five miles northwest of Seminole. A post office from January 10, 1891 to November 27, 1895. The name is from the Creek word heleswv, meaning medicine.
In trying to pinpoint these locations, I have spoken with several Seminole IT historians, etc. I have spoken with the Director of the Seminole Museum in Wewoka, for instance. Several names have been suggested. I have talked to some and others are on my list. I have determined this to be a massive project, but I am further determined to get it done. Marsha and I were having a blast. We will both tell you this—you have no idea the beauty of this county, its resources, and the largely unknown farming, ranching and oil / gas production operations. Our suggestion would be to get out of town and see this beautiful land. It is truly amazing!
Once again, I will post here the Seminole IT Ghost Towns. If anyone can help us pinpoint these locations, definitively, please let me know. I want to pinpoint the exact GPS coordinates when all is said and done. There is a method to my madness which will be known at a later date. This list is not exhaustive, as I have learned. There are many more ghost towns, stretching back to the Trail of Tears. The history here is beyond your imagination, or, at least it is beyond mine.
Marsha and I took another drive in "the sticks" today. We went up to Chimney Rock. The road my Mobile Google Maps took me on a different approach than I recall back in the 60s. It was just not right--I recall driving north and the access to the chimney was on my left [West]. I am going to get my Topo maps out and find the approach from the east, not west. Thus, I did not actually get out and walk to the chimney. However, when we came back through Seminole, after looking for a turnout/ lookout that I recall, from Hwy 9, looking north, we got my minerals map and headed to my leases, one of which still gets me checks from Sunoco [Communities #2]. We found it, on Mathews Land Co. properties--no relation. Then we headed from there to Hwy 59 W to one I have just on the west edge of Bowlegs. What a surprise. We had been to Wildcat Hollow a few days ago. I did not walk to it, due to its being on private lands. Guess what; Wildcat Hollow is on my mineral lease lands!!! Blew my mind. Here's a tip--take Ideal St. as far as it goes to the south. That's where Wildcat "Holler" is! Not kidding! Thus, we visited Wildcat Holler twice in one week, unknowingly. We came back up north on Ideal St. to Strothers, headed west, passing Phelps Farm. We headed to what ended up passing PG School on our right and went up what I think is Good Hope Road, passing the Ironhead Bar. I've been there a few times and found it to be quite nice. It's been a while though. Marsha and I did not go in but I wanted to make sure it was where I thought it was. BTW--I am still getting my bearings. I plan to drive every darn back road in the county--part of my bucket list. You have no idea how pretty the drive was today. Beautiful! We got Homeland Fried Chicken and had a picnic on the drive; washed it down with Lone Star w/ limes. It was a blast!!! Also btw, NS 355 is Ideal St. We got some good pics too.
One of Seminole's Favorite Sons and formerly, Principal Chief, Enoch Kelly Haney with a personal anecdote. I gave a speech in Oklahoma City in about 1985, to HEACO, an organization of higher educators in the state of Oklahoma. Kelly spoke at the same and was on the dais with me. In my remarks, I spoke about my immigrant family hitting the shores of Colonial America. Just as I was completing that story, then Senator Haney chimed in, "...and my people met your people at the boat". You know, he was right.
Continuing on EW 1330, westbound, you come to a fork, whereby 1330 ends for all practical purposes, it dips south on NS 3610 and becomes EW 1340. This road meanders due to the configuration of those Oklahoma Hills but finally straightens out at NS 3580, moving due west. When you reach NS 3570, you are now in Snomac, Seminole IT Ghost Town, on the north side of EW 1340. Approximately 1/2 mile west of NS 3570, you will stumble upon Spring Creek Cemetery. We found it quite by accident, locating a sign in a very obscure location, just off the road, covered by a very woodsy stand of trees and brush. I will offer a guess that former Snomac residents utilized this cemetery. That would take a venture into the woods to confirm by checking markers. Approximately 1/2 mile west of that, lies Wolf Cemetery. According to my map, the entire southern section was Snomac and the northern section was Wolf. It is now Wolf in its entirety. The western border of this section is Old Hwy 99. The northern boundary of this section is EW 1330. To give you some perspective, If you drove north to Seminole, NS 3570 is Harvey Rd, although good luck on that, since this road meanders all over the place and you cannot drive this road all the way to Snomac/ Wolf unless you have really good maps.
To be continued…



1 comment:

Lori Edgell McKinney said...

My dad, Hugh Don Edgell was born in Snomac in 1935 and has a baby brother that is buried in that Snomac cemetary you mentioned.
As a child, Daddy and his other 2 brothers, Walt and LeRoy, would take buckets of arrowheads they had found in the creeks and they would take them to the postmaster in Snomac and trade for money.
Daddy told alot of stories about his life growing up in the country there. Wish I had paid more attention to him when he was telling them. ��
I enjoy reading about your adventures!