Friday, November 8, 2019

Seminole Cook Book 1933

Ladies and Germs:
I am providing your Birthday and early Christmas present. The Seminole Cook Book 1933. It was republished in 1996 by the Seminole Historical Society. My mother gave it to me for Christmas that year. It is a treasure and I refer to it quite often. It is also historical. You will notice old Ads, going back to the beginning. The 2 digit phone numbers are of course the beginning of business/ commercial interests. Then, at some point, they had to go to 3 digit, followed my 4 digits. My home number went from 291 to 2911. The other more modern numbers are of course provided by those businesses who sponsored the 1996 reprint.
At the beginning of the publication, just following the Fly Page, there is an interesting piece on just what businesses were extant in 1933, in total. Try to imagine what it was like at that time, the heyday of Seminole. Read the old Ads. They are noteworthy. I hesitated including Page 2 of the book, knowing some of y'all are quite capable of doing just that. If we find a Gerald Jones pork roast at some point, we will know where she got the idea. I suppose that could make me a co-conspirator and that gives me pause. The Rod Shoppe on Page 4 is the location of one of my grandfather's grocery stores. On Page 6 is an ad for H&M Food Market. That was also one of my grandfather's grocery stores. That one was in a partnership with Jim Hendren. The "M" of course is Matthews. That location is now Seminole Wine & Spirits at 104 E Broadway, phone #1077.
I remember so many of these old places. I have pictures of many at my Seminole IT FB website. On pages 52-53 are some Helpful Hints, many of which are a blast. The Table of Weights & Measures is quite interesting, as is the Table for Baking Meats. The Index, P. 54-59 is quite helpful.
I hope you get a kick out of it half as much as I have over the past many years.
NOTE: If this does not work for you, please let me know. I may have to Zip the Folder. Here is the link to the folder:Seminole Cook Book 1933

No comments: