Thursday, July 31, 2014

Politicization of Theology

I just heard a thoughtful characterization of something I have long felt. Somewhere along the way, and it has been gradual and insidious, we in America have politicized theology. There are a number of "political" issues that, in my opinion were formerly only questions of theology, not to be politicized. Theology has gradually been hijacked/ politicized. I have resented it all along but this is the first time on TV that I have heard it articulated in the manner just heard. For some reason[s], since the '50s, the political agenda and discourse have drastically changed. I'm not sure the tipping point or the catalyst but I am sure that it has been partly cause and effect as to why we now seem to be dysfunctional, politically and otherwise. It is the political system that has hijacked theology and not the reverse, quite the opposite of Jefferson's fear. Theology, in my opinion, is hands off, especially with respect to the federal government. Being Jeffersonian, I believe in a distinct separation of church and state. "Church", in Jefferson's mind [and mine], had nothing to do with religion or religionists.  It had to do with Theology -- the domain of the Creator, something for which we mortals have NO qualifications. I would assume the "political" issues of which I speak would be obvious. However, with the lack of a moral compass extant, seemingly, I probably should not even assume that. Just some thoughts...


No comments: